Monday, October 29, 2012

HB Cooks: Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

So awhile back I tweeted a picture of my tomatillo salsa and several of you asked me how I did it. It's pretty easy and really yummy. 

First you need about 1 pound of tomatillos. In L.A. they are really easy to find and they are in the regular drugstore. They look like green tomatoes with a husk on them. (They are actually from the gooseberry family.) Pick ones that are firm and clean. When you get home peel the husk off and wash them. (They will be a little sticky but that's okay.) If you like your salsa spicy then wash a jalapeno too.



Now, you need to roast them. You can do this in a cast iron pan, your broiler, or on a grill, like me. Roast them (and the jalapeno) until they are slightly charred on all sides. 


Then place the jalapeno in a bag for about 5-10 minutes. The steam in the back will help you peel the skin off.


Then take a paper towel and use it to peel off the skin and pull out all the seeds. Be careful not to burn yourself and make sure you wash your hands afterwards!


Then put everything in the blender and puree. (Not shown but really good- add about a handful of fresh cilantro to the blender.) 


Salt and pepper to taste and store. It's great with chips or on enchiladas. Let me know if you try this!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there so I have nominated you for the Liebester award so check out my blog for further information.
    http://sparkle101-sparklegirl.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik